The power to change our lives for the better is in our hands, says expert Emma Mumford
The Law of Attraction is an ancient concept that has really come into the spotlight over the past 15 years, helped by the launch of the book The Secret by Rhonda Byrne.
It is the theory that like attracts like and that we can create our reality using manifestation. Simply put, whatever energy you put out into the universe – whether it’s good or bad – will be reflected back to you.
Many people use the Law of Attraction to manifest money, homes, relationships, success or wellbeing. The great thing is that there are no limits!
The sciencey bit
Whilst there is no conclusive scientific evidence or official studies to support the Law of Attraction, quantum physics does offer us an explanation for how the Law of Attraction works as a concept. Nobel Prize winner Max Planck – one of the founding fathers of quantum physics – said:
“As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clearheaded science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about the atoms this much: There is no matter as such! All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particles of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together… We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter.”
Simply put, Max Planck is suggesting that we have the ability to co-create our realities through the power of our mind and energy. We can literally change and create energy with our intentions.
For me personally, I look at the Law of Attraction from more of a spiritual perspective. It works by setting intentions to co-create your reality with the universe, your higher self, source, or God – whichever you relate to.
It’s important to honour yourself and what resonates with you in this process. The beauty of The Law of Attraction is that it can literally work for anyone regardless of their beliefs. Everyone is able to manifest their dreams using this method.
Learning the process
One of the most common techniques you can use to set your intentions and manifest your desires is a vision board (creating a mood board or mind map with pictures and words of how you’d like your dream life to look).
This really helps you to visualise your goals and keep them fresh in your mind, so that every action you take (even subconsciously) is taking you one step closer to what you want to achieve.
You can also write a goals list with all the things you’d like to achieve and tick this off at the end of each month or year. Again, keep it somewhere you can see it – on the kitchen noticeboard, or next to your bed.
Meditation is another great way to co-create with the universe – this involves visualising your desired reality and connecting to the feelings and emotions of that desire.
I always suggest trying a few different techniques and seeing which ones work for you – everyone is different and their manifesting style will be unique, too.
For those wanting to learn more about the Law of Attraction, my book Positively Wealthy (a 33-day guide to manifesting sustainable wealth and abundance in all areas of your life) is a practical guide for beginners and readers who are aware of the concept.
The Secret by Rhonda Bryne is one of the most popular books out there – it’s a brilliant guide to the simple principles of the theory. If you want a more comprehensive book that explores the spiritual side of the Law of Attraction, try Gabrielle Bernstein’s Super Attractor, which is a deeper take on the concept.
Traditionally, people use the Law of Attraction to manifest material wealth and while I have used it to attract my house, business success, book deals and holidays, it’s not just about money.
If you’d like to manifest love or connection in your life, try practices that involve self love and self care. As the saying goes, no one can love you if you don’t love yourself.
To attract your desires into your life, you have to be an energetic match, so think about what that version of yourself is doing and feeling. By consciously focusing on your wellbeing, self love and positivity you will not only feel better in the present moment but will also start to manifest the life you want.
Manifestation and the law of attraction for beginners
- ASK: Get specific with the universe as it’s one big mirror – the more specific you can be with your desires, the clearer the universe can be with you. There are many different ways to ask – you could create a vision board using photos and words to display how you’d like your life to look. You could write a goals list down or even visualise your goals through meditation. All of these are asking and you only need to ask once for the universe to hear your desire.
- BELIEVE: Belief can look like a few different things. Firstly, the belief that the universe can deliver your desire and also that you have the ability to co-create with the universe. It’s important to remember that this a 50/50 process where we go 50 per cent of the way and the universe meets us halfway. In this stage, it’s also important to witness any limiting beliefs of fears that come up for you. As you set your desire you may notice negative self-talk or that maybe you don’t feel worthy of your desire. This is all feedback from you and so it’s important to address it so that you can identify what stands between you and your desire.
- TRUST: The next step is a new step that I’ve added in to my manifesting process. Trusting means having faith in the divine timing of your life and trusting in the universe’s process too. Trusting is also when you take your inspired action. So if you want to manifest a new career or job, start updating your CV, applying for jobs, and even planning your interview outfit. All of these are great ways to take your inspired action to meet the universe 50 per cent of the way.
- LET GO: The fourth step is about letting go and surrendering. Remember, the universe is one gigantic mirror so if you are feeling attached, needy or feeling lack in your life, this is what is being mirrored back to you. Letting go is so important as often we try to control the timings and outcomes, which is not creating the right space or allowing the universe to step in and co-create with us. Letting go and surrendering is definitely a process but a powerful one that, when done right, brings your desires to you – and fast!
- RECEIVE: Yes, this is the last step and the best step because your manifestation is here! Make sure you truly celebrate when your desire does turn up because this is an important step in expressing gratitude to the universe and recognising the process you have been through. It’s easy to fall into a manifestation checklist where you move onto the next thing, so take the time to be present with your desire, express gratitude and feel happy because it’s here!